Highslide for Shashin
Highslide for Shashin is a WordPress plugin that integrates Highslide with the Shashin plugin for WordPress. After you install it, “Highslide” will be available as a viewer option on the Shashin settings page. It also has its own settings page for Highslide’s settings.
Please use the comments section in Post to Post Links II error: Unrecognized type: cat_slug for questions or bug reports.
Why Use Highslide?
Shashin was originally designed for use with Highslide, but I had to switch to Fancybox in order to keep Shashin in the wordpress.org plugin repository, as Highslide does not have a GPL-compatible license. Therefore, Highslide for Shashin is only available here, not at wordpress.org.
Fancybox has a few shortcomings compared to Highslide. Whether these matter to you depend on how you are using Shashin:
- For Twitpic photos, Twitpic redirects its URLs to Amazon AWS, and Fancybox cannot resolve these redirects. Shashin works around this by resolving them server-side, which means displaying a Twitpic photos involves 2 requests, which can make performance slow (and may sometimes result in missing thumbnails). This is not an issue for Highslide.
- Fancybox has a method for setting the dimensions for a video, and another method for mixing videos and photos in the same slideshow, and these two methods are not compatible with each other. I set Fancybox to use a default size for displaying videos, which means you cannot adjust the video display size, and it’s possible the aspect ratio will be incorrect.
- Shashin comes with an older version of Fancybox, as the current version has a different license which is also not GPL compatible. Although Highslide is not currently under active development, it does still get periodic bug fixes and minor updates. (Unfortunately, I have yet to find a widely used, robust photo and video viewer that currently has a GPL compatible license.)
- WordPress 3.0 or higher
- Shashin 3.1 or higher
- PHP 5.1.2 or higher
- If you don’t have Shashin yet, download and activate Shashin.
- Download Highslide for Shashin
- Unzip it, and use FTP to copy the “highslide-for-shashin” folder to your plugin directory. See the WordPress Manual Plugin Installation instructions if you need more details.
- Activate Highslide for Shashin on your plugin admin page
- On the Shashin settings menu, select the new option to use Highslide as the viewer
- On the Highslide for Shashin settings menu, configure Highslide as desired
- I do not have my own plugin auto-update system in place. Please check back here occasionally for updates.
This plugin has a split license:
- All files in the directory shashin/Public/Display/highslide fall under these license terms. Highslide is free for non-commercial use only. Please follow the license terms link for further information.
- All other files are GPLv2
- Based on this entry in the GPL FAQ, it is my understanding that distributing this plugin under a split license is valid under the terms of GPLv2, as Highslide functions as an optional add-on to Shashin, and is invoked through 2 lines of code (one for Highslide’s .js file and one for its .css file).