I had hoped to finish version 2.4 by now, but I’ve been busy with other projects and haven’t had enough time for it. So I’m releasing 2.3.5, which will be the final patch for version 2.3. There were a few bugs that people discovered since the last patch, and I don’t want to delay getting the fixes out. You can download it from wordpress.org, or if you already have a previous version installed, your plugin menu should give you a link within the next 24 hours to automatically upgrade.
Patches aren’t supposed to have new features, but this has a couple small ones, since I had already finished working on them.
- In addition to floating left or right, you can use “center” as an option for positioning your shashin tags and widgets. For example:
This gives the picture with key 600 a width of 576, shows the caption, and centers the picture. Shashin uses the CSS “margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;” technique to center the picture. This means you can leave out the “clear” argument if you’re centering, as the subsequent content will be automatically pushed below the picture.
- The simage tag has a new, optional 6th argument, which lets you specify an alternate thumbnail image. This is particularly useful for videos, as sometimes Picasa is unable to generate a thumbnail (I’ve run into this with a couple of mp4 videos, where the Picasa-generated thumbnail is just a solid black image). You can see it in this post, featuring a video about my son's school in Japan a couple of years ago [the linked post is not published yet]. The thumbnail is a still frame from the middle of the video. The syntax looks like this:
The number at the end is the photo key for the thumbnail image to use. Note this option is available only for the simage tag.
These are the bug fixes:
- Fixed incomplete localization code for widget menus
- In the album photo admin menu, now correctly saves whether photos should be included in random display
- The salbumphotos tag can now handle sort order options with spaces (e.g. “pub_date desc”)
- The salbumphotos tag no longer shows a “go back” link, as there’s nothing to go back to